Where did the time go? It feels like the first eight weeks of the NFL season have gone by in a blur - which is testament to the fact they’ve been as super-charged as ever with great games, amazing storylines and incomparable sporting moments.
But if time flies when you’re having fun, then the next two months are set to be even more frantic. Buckle up for a roller coaster ride of a November as the push for the playoffs - fantasy and NFL - really heats up, just as the weather’s getting cooler.
Let’s get caught up on the latest in NFL injury and depth chart news:
- Dallas Cowboys WR Dez Bryant did not practice on Thursday due to a hip issue, but still expects to suit up on Sunday versus Atlanta. He’ll big a central part of the attack, as ever, assuming his situation doesn’t deteriorate.
- Indianapolis RB Donald Brown missed Thursday’s sessions with a knee injury. It’s unknown as yet whether the Colts lead back was being rested or has suffered a setback. Rookie Vick Ballard will continue to see plenty of carries.
- Minnesota WR Percy Harvin missed the Vikings’ Thursday practice, but was thought to have been excused for personal reasons rather than his troublesome hamstring. His matchup at Seattle doesn’t look appealing at this point.
- New England have moved to acquire talented but troubled CB Aquib Talib from the Buccaneers. Talib should be a tonic for the Patriots’ patchwork secondary - but not until week 11 when he is eligible to return from suspension.
- Pittsburgh RB Jonathan Dwyer (quad) returned to practice on Thursday and is thought to be a decent bet for Sunday’s game at the Giants. With Rashard Mendenhall still limited, Dwyer should have a big role. That said, Steelers do plan to involve Isaac Redman more too.
- Miami QB Ryan Tannehill is considered an even bet to suit up at Indianapolis on Sunday and could be a game-time decision. If he plays, coaches will closely monitor his effectiveness in-game. If he sits, reserve Matt Moore has a shot for an OK game vs. the Colts’ so-so D.
- Philadelphia QB Michael Vick has received a vote of confidence from head coach Andy Reid and will not be benched in favour of rookie Nick Foles. Vick has a sensational matchup against New Orleans on Monday night - but will be under pressure to capitalise.
- Carolina RB DeAngelo Williams appears to be falling further out of favour with the Panthers coaching staff and local writers expect to see his workload further reduced in favour of Jonathan Stewart. Stewart is a sleeper play at Washington in week nine.
- Green Bay RB James Starks has been seeing more practice time this week and is expected to get some carries in relief of disappointing starter Alex Green. Neither is a good bet for fantasy production this weekend.
- Cleveland RB Trent Richardson is still dealing with an ongoing rib issue but is in no danger of missing week nine. After a 122-yard outing last week, the star rookie is trending up at just the right time.
- Detroit RB Mikel Leshoure (leg) has been removed from the injury report and will be good to go on Sunday at Jacksonville. Third down back Joique Bell appears to be earning a larger slice of the pie with his play in the passing game, but the matchup with the Jaguars favours the more powerful Leshoure.
- Detroit WR Titus Young was again limited with a knee issue on Thursday but is expected to be at full speed for week nine. He recorded two scores last week and could be in for a strong game in Florida.
- Carolina WR Brandon LaFell (concussion) has still not returned to practice, and may yet be held out against the Redskins.
- Houston TE Owen Daniels has found the injury report thanks to a hamstring tweak. While he’s still expected to play, his status for week nine will be clearer after today’s practice.
- New York Giants RB Ahmad Bradshaw continues to battle an ongoing foot issue but will be on the field versus Pittsburgh on Sunday. It’s an unappetising matchup.
- Dallas RB Felix Jones has picked up a shoulder injury in addition to his troublesome knee. Beat writers expect reserve Phillip Tanner to see more of the ball in a tricky matchup in Atlanta.
- Green Bay WR Greg Jennings will has undergone surgery for his abdominal injury but now faces 4-6 weeks of rehabilitation. Randall Cobb and James Jones remain must-plays in the meantime.
- Tennessee QB Jake Locker (shoulder) has been ruled out for week nine. Veteran Matt Hasselbeck will face the full force of the Bears’ top ranked fantasy defense.